Home » Bagbin’s order effectively dissolved appointments committee – Oppong Nkrumah

Bagbin’s order effectively dissolved appointments committee – Oppong Nkrumah

Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Member of Parliament (MP) for Ofoase-Ayirebi, says Speaker Alban Bagbin’s directive following the vetting chaos amounted to an immediate dissolution of the Appointments Committee on Friday, January 31, 2025.

His comment comes after the Majority and Minority failed to reach a consensus on the committee’s composition following Bagbin’s order.

The Speaker had instructed the Committee of Selection to reconstitute the Appointments Committee, a move Oppong Nkrumah believes effectively dissolved the existing structure.

Speaking on Channel One Newsroom on Saturday, he stressed that the directive signaled a “constructive dissolution” of the committee.

“Our view is that the order Mr. Speaker gave amounted to a constructive dissolution of the Appointments Committee and we are fortified by his subsequent words where he said that he is calling for an immediate meeting that day to reconstitute the Appointments Committee,” he explained.

Nkrumah further noted that while they disagreed with the Speaker’s order, they had to comply with it.

“That signals to you that Mr. Speaker in his earlier order, which order we disagree with but still must comply with. That order amounted to a constructive dissolution of the Appointments Committee. That is why Mr Speaker said there should be an immediate meeting to reconstitute,” he added.

Nkrumah highlighted that they brought this to the attention of the chairman, indicating that the vetting could not proceed with a committee that had been constructively dissolved.

“In that instant, we brought it to the attention of the chairman that vetting could not proceed with a vetting that had been constructively dissolved…We will bring that to the attention of Mr. Speaker,” he said.

Source: channel1news

Leave a Reply